CILS, CELI, IT and PLIDA are the official qualifications awarded by the Italian Government to certify the competency of candidates in the Italian language. As of December 2018, one of these 4 tests is required by the Italian Government in order to apply for Italian Citizenship.
The minimum level required is B1 as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. It certifies that candidates are independent users of the Italian language and can:
- understand the main points of information in conversations and texts on familiar matters relating to work, school and leisure time, etc. when clear, standard language is used
- deal with most situations typically encountered when travelling in Italian-speaking countries
- express yourself simply and coherently when talking about familiar topics and areas of personal interest
- report on experiences and events, describe dreams, hopes and ambitions as well as make short statements and explanations
Preparation courses for the CILS exam (only for level B1)
IACE offers private online classes with a certified tutor.
The classes will focus on:
- Familiarity with the format and instructions.
- Written samples to those required in the test.
- A wide range of activities to prepare the different parts of the test
- Video activities to simulate oral tests
- Study techniques for the test
- Relevant information about the kinds of questions
Fee: $80/hour; $700 for 10 prepaid hours
Skype classes are also available at a rate of $60 for 45 minutes
To book a class please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Taking the test
CILS tests are not offered at IACE but can be taken at several locations in New York City.
Details available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
June 4th 2020
Exam fee: 100 Euro
Resources: See an example of past exams